16 April 2009

RE: Excuse Me?!

Stevie, I am posting a response to your latest on here because I cannot seem to comment on your blog itself. Here goes...

This makes me sad. It reminds me of something similar when I was a junior, although, you are lucky that you get to go.

A good friend of mine was a senior at Cor Jesu, a Catholic girls' high school, and wasn't dating anyone at the time, and instead of asking a guy friend, she wanted to share the night with me, her friend. However, we couldn't even think about it because at Cor Jesu (and many other religiously affiliated schools) the girls are not allowed to bring same sex dates to dances.

Besides the obvious discrimination against homosexual couples, that just puts ridiculous amounts of pressure on young women! You MUST find a boy to bring (sorry to all of you stuck in your socially awkward phase) or hang out with friends from your school. Now, I guess it's not so bad to hang out with only school friends, but what if your best friend goes somewhere else, or worse, what if you just don't have any friends at school? You shouldn't be denied your prom if you still want it. It's infuriating. That has always made me mad.

It's time for the Church's discrimination to end as well, but that's a different discussion for another day.

Signing off,
Abigail

2 comments: